Monday, September 21, 2009
3 hours class
I realize that by now everyone has had at least one class that was near 3 hours long in their college life. And when trying to study for this 3 hour class it feels like your head is pounds and it feels like no matter what you read and no matter how long you read it for, you never seem to remember it when the test comes around. I've learned through various psychology classes that your brain can gain and process new information for a 15 minutes period before it needs a break. Common sense tells us that because of this, we should only study for a 15 minute period of time and take a break before continuing. What this dosent explaine is why do we have 3 hour long classes is subjects like anatomy, for example, when after 10 minutes of class you are already lost and confused with all the anatomical terms. I feel that teachers and professors of college should know this fact, that a brain can process new info for 15 minutes before you SHOULD get a break, and that somebody should do something about hte fact that all 3 hour classes do are frustrate students or put them to sleep.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I think all the professors need to read Brain Rules. Its all about how the brain functions and how to maximize your brain power. Its a very enlightening book, and I think it should be a required text for all college students.
ReplyDeleteI understand with what you’re saying about how long classes are but it has helped me during these long classes to take a mental break during the class. When you feel yourself going off topic in class do something for the next five minutes in class to take your mind off it, relax yourself and then get yourself back to what’s going on in class. If it's staying awake you have trouble with I suggest you bring a Mt. Dew to class and sip on that all class and just work on staying focused then.
ReplyDelete